Project Timeline and FAQS
- The 2008 Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation (MCPR) Master Plan calls for 4 Regional Recreation Centers – North, East, South and West Regions of the County.
- The Northern Regional Recreation Center was included in the $250,000,000 2008 MCPR Bond Referendum.
- The project was endorsed by the Mecklenburg County Board of County Commissioners, the MCPR Park and Recreation Commission (PRC) and the Park and Recreation Directors and the PRC’s from the 3 Towns – Cornelius, Davidson and Huntersville.
- The 41-acre property was acquired in December 2013 for the project. The site is located in Cornelius off Old Statesville Road (Highway 115) just south of Bailey Road.
- The project design has been awarded to the LS3P/Barker Rinker Seacat Architecture (Denver, CO) Design Team in November 2017.
- A series of Public Open Houses are scheduled for Spring/Summer 2018.
- Ground Breaking for the project is slated for Summer 2019.
The Steering Committee will guide/inform the development of the Northern Regional Recreation Center by serving as a liaison and voice for the broader community. Members will participate in a series of working meetings over the two-year life of the project.
Steering Committee Objectives
- Assist the Design Team establish a preferred development program for the center within a $40 million-dollar budget.
- Respond to demographic and community findings.
- Meet program requirements of Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation.
- Build off the work of stakeholders.
- Give strategic direction.